View Single Post
Old 10-04-23, 11:01 AM   #5713
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I finished my second patrol (S-Class), departing from Surabaya on January 26, 1942, arriving at my new base in Brisbane on July 1, 1942.

I spent five months (!!!) in this patrol. Wonder if historically some S-Class (or any other boat in the PTO) lasted that time in only a voyage.

Curious is- when awarded with the Asiatic Fleet medal - the text tells "three patrols", but I did only two (first Manila-Surabaya, second Surabaya-Brisbane).

I had five patrol areas assigned during 4 months, and sunk 3 merchants (one a fishing boat) and two destroyers. Also a Betty bomber was destroyed.

My main concern is the continuos assignment of new patrol objetives, lasting four months on patrol; this seems too much for a WW2 sub, more for a S-Class.

No refueling in five months, no rearm, no provisions...

Navigating at 6-7 knots, the fuel was enough for the five months of patrol.

No more than TCx512 in all the patrol.

Full realism, except external camera.

Now departing from Brisbane to the Coral Sea, with the same boat.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
the reason for the extended and unreasonable patrol duration is your use of the radio for additional objectives.
when you are low on fuel or out of ammo, go home. (otherwise known as stay off the d@#$ radio).

and yes, 5-month patrol times are more in keeping with Cold War deterrence patrols than WWII war patrols.
40-60 days was the typical range for a WWII war patrol, with sixty days being the outside edge of the envelope. food provisions and diesel fuel become precious at the end of those patrols.

in this game, you can return to a designated-base and replenish if you wish to continue the patrol and not return to your home base and end your patrol, although in real life, stopping along the way was used more for food/fuel replenishment than ammo replenishment, i.e. Midway, Tulagi, Ulithi, et.al.

when you are low on fuel or out of ammo, take one of the vacuum tubes out of the radio and go home.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote