View Single Post
Old 06-25-23, 06:57 AM   #4071
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Yesterday was hiking day for me, I took the train to Natrup, which is two stations before Osnabrück and one station behind Lengerich, and hiked from there crisscross for 9 hours over about 35 km over field paths, through smallest forests and across meadows and along hidden paths to Hasbergen, Hellern, Rubbenbruchsee, and finally to the old town of Osnabrück. There I got on the train, feeling pretty much shot and more dead than alive, and headed back to Münster. Every muscle below the hip hurts, blisters I could prevent by appropriate prophylaxis, but feet and practically every joint from the hip down hurts. 56 years feels just different than 26, especially if you approach such tours without prior acclimatization and shorter training tours... Today I must atone, but it was a nice and almost perfect day yesterday...

Strange thing is after such exhaustion I may fall asleep easily after shower and lots of dirnking (5+ litres yesterday...), but after one hour or one and a half I wake up again, still feeling exhausted, but cannot sleep again any time soon. I just cannot sleep when gpoing to bed early in the evening (I roam around until 3 a.m. in the morning, usually).

What helps tremendously is having salt during the tour. I take emptied Magnesium supplements capsules and fill them with salt, four over the whole tour, plus Magnesium, too. Taking thse durign a break is indeed re-energizing, the head gets clearer again. Lots of drinks, too. No eating stuff, I just do not need it, and I have no appetite on the tour. I don't want to dramatise or exaggerate the salt effect, but it is definitely noticeable. Plus lots of salt before leaving, and when i was back home.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-25-23 at 07:09 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote