View Single Post
Old 06-12-23, 01:10 PM   #1
JSilva
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Plotting an intercept (Kreuzeraufgabe, or Cruiser Problems), in GeoGebra

A few years ago I got a document---from this community, I think---on how to plot an intercept course, based on techniques from the Kreuzeraufgabe ("The Cruiser Problems").

Having recently returned to SH3 for some more submarine action, I decided to re-create the Kreuzeraufgabe in GeoGebra, an education tool. I'll still apply the method "by hand" in SH3, but I hoped that by doing it in GeoGebra, and playing around with the settings, I could get a better intuitive understanding of the method. For instance, it seems that distance to the target doesn't change the heading the u-boat must take. Maybe it can be useful for some of you as well.

Here it is:
https://www.geogebra.org/classic/mt9p4j7m

A few notes:
  • This is for what the Kreuzeraufgabe document describes as "Case 1", or the "intercept" situation, where the u-boat is able to move faster than the target. I'd like to soon also re-create "Case 2", where the u-boat is slower than the target and the method allows finding the closest possible approach.
  • I think that this is working, but this is my first time using GeoGebra and it's always possible to let errors creep in, with all the knots-kmh conversions and the switches from polar to Euclidean coordinates. So, take it with a grain of salt and don't lose tonnage by trusting it fully and missing an intercept.
  • Having no experience with GeoGebra, I don't really know how sharing works on the platform. Hopefully the link above will be enough.
  • I'm posting on the SH3 sub-forum, as that the game I'm playing, but the method is general.
JSilva is offline   Reply With Quote