View Single Post
Old 03-18-23, 11:04 AM   #234
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Every single part of a ship must be texture mapped if you want to import via Silent 3d editor. That message is because at least one face in the model has not been texture mapped/skinned. You will need to select the un-textured face in Wings3d and then:

1) Right click UV Mapping

2) In the pop-up window, choose segment by projection (or segment by feature detection)

3) Then select continue ->unfolding.

This tells wings3d to texture the face.
@ Tigerzhunters

Sometimes spotting all the triangles which are missing UV-coordinates can be a hard task. With that in mind, I will add the following point at the beginning of iambecomelife mini-tutorial:

0) In face-selection mode, click on the menu 'Select' => 'By' => 'UV-Mapped Faces' and then again 'Select' => 'Inverse' or Ctrl Shift I (shortcut).

On a partly unrelated note, from your last post I gather that you are trying to import a Sketchup model in game. Unfortunately the Sketchup file format is not fully compatible with the wavefront (obj) standard that most games, including Silent Hunter, rely on. Indeed there are several options for converting from one format to the other, but so far there are no perfect conversion methods. Many times you end up facing corrupted UV-maps, inverted or wrong normals, duplicated or missing faces, isolated vertices, etc. The more complex the object you are trying to convert, the higher the chance of this happening. Fixing those errors and getting a good quality model might get longer than rebuilding the model from scratch.
To learn 3D modelling in Wings3d is not too difficult. Probably it is no more complicated than trying to fix bugged geometries, but for sure it is more rewarding. All in all, if you find any sketchup model that you think might fit in game, my suggestion is not import it directly, but to us it as 3D template for your own work of art
gap is offline   Reply With Quote