View Single Post
Old 03-17-23, 06:55 PM   #10381
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
"Caesar Flickerman is the host for the Hunger Games. He is famous for turning any conversation around for the positive, and is known to change the color of his lips, hair, and eyelids for each Hunger Games."
I despise the "Hunger Games" and all this HBO crap, but you got a point
Stanley Tucci's brilliant portrayal of Caesar Flickerman was primarily that of a die-hard regime loyalist and propagandist who, in the face of inhumanity and cruelty, cynically led the sacrificial lambs to the slaughter and feigned compassion when in reality he was just a murderous pig.

I like the films and the books, a lot. They really struck a chord with me, and I think in some ways our societies are actually slipping in the direction of Panem, generally speaking. When social unrest broke out in Asia, Malaysia I think it was, and the crowds showed the stubborn gesture of defiance of the Panem rebels, the military saw that as so dangerous and potentially threatening that they cracked down on them, ultra-hard even by their already harsh standards. The comparison may not be exact, but the social unrest in the world and the growing alienation between governments and the governed is moving in the direction of the model of civilisation presented in the Panem series - including the role of the media in controlling and calming, entertaining and deceiving the masses.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-17-23 at 07:11 PM.