View Single Post
Old 01-18-23, 05:43 AM   #115
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Sounds as if you got yours meanwhile, Dowly!?

I hope the things you mentioned, which I think all are correct except one (more on that at the bottom), did not surprise you. I repeated these things several times to make sure that everbyody, if he follows my praise and buys the G2, knows where its strenght lies- but also its weakness. Trakcign the handconbtroller sis somehtign that other sets do betterm, namely those with external - "lighthouse" - tracking.

The video I posted on comparing the headsets of the present has it much right, I think. The Vive is and always was overpriced and is a bit outdated by now, though very precise in hand tracking, they say. The Pico 4 is independent from PC specs, since it processes the VR data itself, but is battery-dependent and the calculating power is limited, so some things do not work in it: Google Earth for exmaple, thats a must have app in my book and thus I will never recommend the Pico 4 general. I assume with ACC and FS it would be overwhelmed, if it even launches them. I think you are also limited to the Pico 4 store and what it offers, though i may be wrong.

This year and for the first months of next year it seems nothing new is announced that represents another clear development leap in VR hardware. The biggest issues in my opinions are that the prices must come further down to not mroe thna the G2'S level, and that independent sets need to ge tthe processing power so that they cna run also the more demandinf apps like Googlm eaerth, FS, and the likes. In other words: standardization of software compatability: onbly VHS. Death to Video 2000, Betamax and the likes.

Quite some of the existing headsets are overpriced, imo. In this regard the G2 offers the by far best bang-for-the-buck ratio, I think.

Myself, I lost table tennis and tennis, yes, but still I have never regretted to have moved from the Rift to the G2. It was a revelation in image quality.

Also, to say this clear: normal tasks that do not demand quick and precise and superfast handmovements like in certain games, can be perfectly accomplished and without compromise with the G2 controllers, although one sometimes needs to find workarounds for compatability issues.

Best advice is to always start software in VR from within the Steam Home, and leave the system time to mount and recognise hardware and controllers before moving to the next software step: Mixed Reality first, then controllers, then Steam VR, then Steam Home. Let the rig always settle down between every step.

Also, Google Earth should be started form within Steam Home, if the Steam version of Google Earth is used, also the controllers get easily messed up.

Dowly, you indicated your whole body tracking is not great. That could be because your surrounding is too dark and needs to be lit up better. The darker it gets in the room, due to fading daylight for example, the wobblier it indeed gets. If the cameras can see the surrounding place clearly, then I have absolutely no difference to the flawless body and position-in-space tracking of the Rift, and the G2. Light up your room. I say this because I do not have your described problem when I light up my room, your issue is then non-existent for me.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-18-23 at 05:51 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote