Old 01-17-23, 06:14 PM   #716
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

26 October 1943
Trying to salvage the Mariannas operation

CENTPAC
So, I have all these extra troops from Guadalcanal. I know I can't beat him on Tinian. But maybe these troops can rapidly overwhelm Saipan or Guam? I didn't like this option. He has over 100 fighters on Saipan and Tinian now, with the KB lurking nearby, and Betties flying in from the Palaus and Truk. Evacuate Tinian then? That's problem for the same reason.

My answer to this problem: Take Truk. The Betties from Palau aren't in torpedo range. Recon says there aren't many troops there. Having Truk as an airbase puts the Marianas in B-24 range to support my Marines there. After Truk is neutralized, I can reinforce or evacuate Tinian but with a significantly reduced land-based air threat.

I attacked Truk with B-24s and B-17s from New Britain, causing light damage and destroying a transport on the ground. Disappointing results. The combined task forces approaching Truk reported 2 hits on enemy submarines by ASW aircraft. I hope that doesn't mean he anticipated my move...

The enemy garrison attacked our Marines on Tinian and again it did not go well for them, 707(J) vs 21(A).

DEI
We swept Makassar with P-38s; 2 were shot down while shooting down 4 Tonies. B-24s hit the base later, remaining Tonies got 1 bomber. Damage on the ground was minor.

Burma
Beaufighters made a low-altitude attack on an seaplane tender at Tavoy, causing moderate damage.

Off the coast, HMS Trespasser torpedoed and sunk an Ehime class cargo ship (3425 tons).

Damage at Rangoon is looking fairly accumulative, it may be worth attacking directly in a week or so.

Reinforcements
SS Rock arrives at Eastern USA
SS Burrfish arrives at Eastern USA