View Single Post
Old 01-08-23, 04:30 PM   #92
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

First Blood...! I'm sooooo sorrrrie!

If you run into issues, ask, if I can, I'll help.

One thing I tell you in advance already: the thing comes with a cable that halfway through has a connector to a second cable. You will ntov eit, a little box. I disconnect the set here when i do not use it, and this way I must not always crawl under the table and to the backside of my computer. Why do I do this? Because Windows Mixed Reality (thats what it tehcnically is) may not recognise the set when you boot the system and the set ius connected. Sounds like a downer maybe, but it isn't, one just has to know it.

Second thing, if you neve rhave run VR before, maybe you find you are prone to "motion sickness". If so, no reason to despair, but you need patience then. Use it with titles that include slow virtual movements only and no wild rides, also, no sudden reverse movement. Also, play per session no longer than you can play without feelig any nausea. And then, form d ay to day, slowly increase the session lengths. The good news is: the brain gets used to it over time, it can and does adapt, but it may take time. - Myself, I now can use the thign for hours, even in wild stuff, and I feel nothign negative at all. Patience if you need to adapot to VR is the keyword. Dont give up too early, but have patience. IF you are prone to motion sickness. Many aren't, and from beginning on.

In titles that leave you the3 chocie amognst severla vR options, you may want to choose "openVR", else "Steam VR". Obviously, not "Oculus VR".

Good news for you, the ´G2 runs Google Earth VR and Google Streetview VR. But you need to start it better form wiothin Steam Home, that is the launcher of the Steam platform, you will learn about it automatically. If you launch it via desktop shortcut, it cna happen that the hand controlelrs do not get properly recongised. All your VR titles that run via Steam, should be listed in that virtual launcher'S display, when you wear the helmet. You will notice it.

I also recommend Virtual Desktop as a must have, check then the steam worksho for it for movie hall themes. Some fo them are better than others, some are extremely good. You need such a vrdfitual desktop to watch movies via DVD player. It mirrors the desktop 1:1 onto the moviescreen.

After having installed the hardware, go and find some software component named "steam_vr_desktop_theatre" (use windows search). Get a shortcut for it on youre desktop. Whenever you find an app working bad or not at all in VR, its worth to try this one. You simply launch this one before you launch the actual app or go into SteamHome.

Sometimes, pürograms need careful GFXC driver settings tuned, else the software performs poorly or even crashes. Ironically sometimes HIGHER settings are the solution to add back stability. It dpeends on your system and graphics card. I only want you to keep in mind this: lower settigns not always give you better VR perofmance (frames) or stability, sometimes lowering certain settings do exactly the opposite. Keep that in mind, experiment.

Windows has an onscreen-keyboard. Find it and have a shortcut for it set up on your toolbar or desktop. You may find that easier sometimes when being in Virtual Desktop mode and browsing, or searchign something on Youtube, than to take of the amsk and use the hardware keyboard.

Never forget that the trackers for the G2 sit inside the helmet. If the helmet cannot see your hands, they will not get corretcly tracked. That is the one weaker side of the G2. I, as well as the video, mentioned it.

Okay, this already have been eight or nine things. But you guys know me...

What kind of programs did you have in mind when deciding for giving it a try?

Last edited by Skybird; 01-08-23 at 04:39 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote