View Single Post
Old 11-20-22, 06:31 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Where would i find the hit points and canbedestroyed for guns on enemy ships? I remember I could nail the guns firing at my sub in vanilla SH4, take them out and take my time finishing off ships, but I can't knock out the guns in any of the mods I play like Darkwaters. Also what editor would I use?
enemy ships' damage is handled differently.

they have hitpoints and "boxes" and "Spheres" and i am not sure how they are related at the time that damage is inflicted. the dotZon files have these parameters plus they work in conjunction with the dotDAT file...for each ship.

so, you've probably played different mod-sets where when you torpedo a ship it goes down in approx 45 seconds and then you play a different mod-set where is takes 10-15 minutes and/or multiple hits to sink a merchie. this is because the modder changed the "damage model" which is the .zon/.dat thing.

attempting to damage one particular piece/part of a ship, such as a weapon, is deuce-difficult, if not impossible, because of the "damage model". if the modder did not create a specific damage profile for the weapon, then you cannot destroy it as a weapon. the best you can do is sink the platform (aka the ship) and then the weapon is disabled.

PB is going to weigh-in on this topic and he will go into much more detail, i am sure, but that is the basic explanation.

suffice it to say, once, just once, while shelling a merchie, i discovered that if i hit the platform on which the deck gun was placed, i could knock out the weapon. but that was once, on one ship, which i cannot even remember which ship it was.

UBI didn't want us-gamers using the deck guns to blaze away on the surface.
sink the ship and be done with it.
if you're out of torpedos, stand off 6000-7000 yds and hole her below the waterline.

either way, good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote