View Single Post
Old 07-05-22, 07:57 AM   #19
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorpet View Post
What happened to the Containers? You built to live in did you bury them?
There was one shipping container, when I was home from the road I would stay in it. But it was impractical in the Texas summer, so I bought a used camper. Did not bury it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I've used the top section of a metal bunkbed previously to create a storage space near the ceiling in my garage. You can find those either free or practically free and make a storage area over top of the garage door for cheap compared to those that are specifically made for that sort of thing. Old metal bedframes are a great source of angle iron much cheaper than trying to buy it at the hardware store. People throw them away quite often too.

It looks like you could only get very skinny items above your garage door, but it still might be worthwhile.
Yeah, sounds right, having something like that laying around, would be a smart way to get the bed out of the way and have storage at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Another plus for inverter generators is they're nowhere near as noisy as conventional generators. And don't forget, depending how close the machine is to any windows or doors a Carbon Monoxide detector might be a good investment too.
Yes exactly, they are quieter. Mine is not silent, but it is a volume that does not rattle my teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
ok i found two possible candidates, both "hybrid" types running on propane/butane or gasoline.

Planned to hook it up to the house's fuse box. You have a switch for "island mode", cutting the house energy/fuse box from the grid/net support, then starting the generator and provide the energy from it alone.

1. type: can support the whole house with up to 8000 watts, meaning you could use the oven for cooking, washing machine, fridge, heating a.s.o. at a time without problem. In Germany you need 380 volts for the oven/stove, which the generator also provides (able to generate 230 and 400 Volts simultaneously, several plugs).
But: no clean sinus signal, so you may destroy your laptop or mobile when trying to charge it with this thing. No problem for an electric drill, washing machine, a.s.o. but not suited for delicate electronic devices.

2. type: Also is a 8000 watts generator with inverter technology, providing 230 volts and being less fuel-greedy. But no 380 volts, so no oven/stove.
The advantage of the inverter is less noisy, less consumption, and a clean sinus signal needed to charge laptop, mobile and so on.

I hate it
So, your stove and oven are electric? I think I would go with the option #2, you can always use a propane camp burner or camp stove. The invertor is going be better all around.

Depends a lot on a. how often your power goes out and b. how long the outages last. I can get by with a hotplate for a few days, easy. My stove/oven is gas, so that's not a problem, but if I had to, a camp stove would be fine, if the outages did not last more than a week.

I agree with you about the grid lockout switch, smart.