View Single Post
Old 05-31-22, 08:53 PM   #170
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

I own multiple firearms, but I am not a Republican and I have never attempted to "curb" the rights of anyone else.

As for the argument that the ideas set forth in the Constitution are outdated: as far as I know, no one believes that freedom of speech, for example, only applies to the printing press - or that police no longer need a warrant to search one's property. The Second Amendment is meant as a safeguard against a tyrannical government. From where I sit, the U.S. government has never seemed more so.

The Second Amendment does say that militias are necessary for the security of a free state. But it is the right of the people to keep and bear arms that it protects. Because who is going to populate a militia, if not the people?

It is estimated that there are around 400 million guns in the U.S. They won't be disappearing any time soon. We could try to ban some or even all guns. We could take it a step further and ban knives too - or any sort of weapon for that matter. But I have a better idea: we simply make murder itself illegal. That way, no one can kill anyone! It's so simple!