Thread: Formula One
View Single Post
Old 03-28-22, 08:12 AM   #272
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Brilliant racing yesterday. I think the track is unsafe and poorly suited to Formula 1 cars, been saying this since second practice last year, and thankfully it didn't produce any serious injuries or worse this year. Schumi Jr must have a few aches and pains this morning though. It's too fast for how blind and tight it is. There is zero run-off and a stopped car in the wrong spot is a disaster waiting to happen. Add to this the fact it is Saudi Arabia, and add to that the fact missiles are in the air, and the bottom line is F1 should get out, in my view. Toto Wolf said he thinks F1 can change the world. I'd tone that down a few notches. F1 isn't changing Saudi Arabia, but it can change the perception of Saudi Arabia, and that's what sports-washing is all about.

There are reports that say that during the driver and team meeting on Friday night F1 was 'encouraged' to put the race on despite fears, because to not do so would affect how easily they got out of the country. A little strong-arming? If that's true then F1 needs to seriously consider its involvement here, not that it shouldn't have been doing so already. But this facility was built at enormous expense, and they only just signed a long extension. F1 is selectively righteous, money talks, and I don't expect much course correction here. But let's see what comes out once they've flown out.

Setting aside the off-track issues, the race yesterday was brilliant. Well done to Max, he ran a great race. I had the television broadcast on, plus had F1 TV Pro running with Max's in-car camera and radio for nearly the entire race. He was complaining about Leclerc crossing the pit entrance line, and I was worried he'd grow impatient, shades of Bahrain last year with Merc continually running over the track limits in turn 4. But he kept cool and calm and got by during a thrilling battle with Leclerc. Those two are at the top of their game, in perfectly matched machinery with nothing between them. Last season was the best F1 season I've ever watched, and this year is shaping up to be even better. Not just the fight in the table, but the actual racing on the track, all down the order.

That's because the new cars are delivering. By retaining downforce in the corners, trailing cars have more exit speed now, and that is translating to much better racing, overtaking not just relegated at the end of the straight via slipstreams, outbraking and DRS. The order's more jumbled, the field is tighter and the two fastest teams have nothing between them. And there are 21 more of these to come.