View Single Post
Old 12-25-21, 03:26 PM   #4068
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Ok, went back to the Save I took in the Office as of 10 Dec 42 and looked at available transfers. First option was to the "Asiatic Fleet" temporary base at Surabaya; the Second option was Labeled Mariveles, with a temporary base of Tilapjap. I took that one - got the same mission and departed on 19 Feb 1942.

I'm anxious to see what happens when Tilapjap goes away later in the month. I'll let you know.

EDIT: Took the transfer that went to Tilapjap and left there on 2/19. Received the notice on 2/20 that Darwin was removed as a Base. My base remained Tilapjap. While on patrol in Area A2, on 2/25 got notice that all Asiatic Fleet subs were transferred to Fremantle, but the Base indicator was not changed. On 3/1 Surabaya was abandoned, and then on 3/6 Tilapjap was abandoned. Now I had no Base to return to. Once again there were no tilted anchors.

HOWEVER, on 3/13 I checked again for a Base (I did this every day) and saw that Fremantle was now tilted and therefor was my Base. I did not receive an Operations Message to that effect. No biggie, but why the 7 day wait to get a Base indicator, and why no notification after my prior base was abandoned?

Now I wonder if I had waited longer out of Darwin if the Base might have shown up as Albany if I had waited a full week? I really don't want to go back and try it again. That encounter with the IJN TF was unnerving to say the least!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 12-25-21 at 10:53 PM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote