View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 08:33 PM   #11
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
has anyone been working on fixing the way ships move so they dont zip back and forth like jack rabbits?

i have rarely been around the last 5 yrs so i dont know

i tried to create one many years ago, and it had good results with the movements, but my work had issues with effecting the ship sounds, so i wasnt very satisfied with it since it made things bad for those doing sound detections on ships

just curious if there is a stand alone mod for this
Nope, no stand alone mod. I'd made some changes in RFB on this. I can tell you the issue has to do with ship drag being too low and how the physics engine calculates the propulsion. Propeller differences are not taken into account. The devs told me they used a very simplified prop physics model.

You have to throw the engine HP numbers out the window as they are useless and play with values until you get ones that work. There were some other values too. Can't remember if there's a max RPM number or not. At the same time, you need to change the drag numbers for the ship and, if I remember right for the rudder too.

All of this can be done in S3D.

And let's not even get into what it took to get the subs to not coast forever, turn better, and yet still submerge within expected limits.

Don't know if those fixes ever made it into RFB though, as only some of the Japanese ships were modded.

Will look in an old backup and see if I have any of those files.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote