View Single Post
Old 07-26-21, 11:53 AM   #6
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
I think it makes sense that we have many noobs at the initial status, because the purpose of this game is aiming at "career" play, not a single fight settings.

If we already have many senior crew then we will lost the fun to upgrade crew after each patrol.
Oh, don't get me wrong ... I really like the aspect of awarding medals and giving promotions, watching my crew become more elite with time. But real life Fleet Boats weren't crewed by 50%+ seaman rank and below. Even then, they weren't limited to less than 50% E4-E6.

Now, with chiefs ... there's only so many spaces in 'Chief's Country' to lay down and stow gear. Guess same can be said for O's.

But concentrating on E6 and below (using TMO as an example) I can readily accept there being at least 6 E6-E4 per compartment (crew berthing the possible exception) with E3s and E2s and E1s equally and evenly distributed to start.

Currently the crew starts out as:

That's 35 out of 81 (over 40%) that are essentially boots sent to sub school then to the fleet without any promotion (E1). Another 12 are E3s (over 10%). That's half the crew ranked E3-. By the fourth or fifth patrol the majority of non Chief enlisted should be Petty Officers (I would think). With 4 or 5 promos doled out per patrol, good luck with that.

Bear in mind that you're also promoting Third Class POs to Second Class and Second Class POs to First Class. Not to mention that you may promote your officers (and should if you want to create more specialties among them).

I would prefer a boat with ranks distributed a bit more realistically. There'd be plenty of room to promote (with PO limitation below CPO lifted).

*(But again ... not a 'deal breaker.' After all, I'm not a modder by any means and my suggestions and requests are never demands.)*