Old 06-10-21, 02:08 PM   #8
divemonkie
Medic

Downloads: 1031
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, divemonkie...

it isn't that deck guns weren't used as anti air defense... as they were, until the lack of elevation as you mentioned, came into play then defense air wise, fell solely to the flak guns.

Iirc, the kriegsmarine, did also use deck guns, as well as flak, but as the war progressed & air defenses, got better at ASW as well as better armed (see radar & leigh lights, as well as better depth charge drop tactics which also applied to bomb drops...) well... deck guns, as well as flak was starting to be seen as futile & it was useless for a uboat to stay surfaced 7 duke it out with aircraft. Think it was towards the end of '43, maybe very early on '44... that flak was starting to be removed from uboats, as well as anti air deck gun ammo not being supplied to the uboats. It may have been even earlier on than the end of '43... will have to do some digging about on that... but suffice it to say.. it was decided that fighting it out with aircraft was basic suicide.. & discretion was the better part of valor when it came to it. Better to dive & try to live to fight another day.

Though, as it went, more than 3/4 of the uboat arm of the navy, didn't make it back home... a clearly devastating attrition rate.

Any way, hope this helps...

M. M.

It definitely helps.
Than I see no reason not have both, at range against low flying torpedo bombers might just be the shot that save our boats...and would look really cool doing it. I've a lot to figure out, still not sure how to edit dat. file or witch one I'm looking for. opened several Gun dat. but haven't found anything that looks like duel use edit. Have a little time this weekend to dig through em some more. also need to spend some time reading up on s3d and 1024 ini.

I'm guessing I've stared right at it but as in all things Me it's always the hard way!
divemonkie is offline   Reply With Quote