View Single Post
Old 05-17-21, 09:59 AM   #13
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 457
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
IF the gyro angle is low. If you have a high gyro angle especially at close range, range needs to be spot on so that the computer can appropriately correct for parallax. That’s very important, because people might get inside a convoy and try to shoot large angled shots and wonder why they are missing.

The relative impacts of speed and AOB, as I mentioned, also highly dependent on the impact angle. At impact angles close to perpendicular, speed is more important, at smaller impact angles like 40°, the solution is more sensitive to AOB errors and speed is more forgiving, because the lateral apparent speed is lower. This is why the U-boat commander’s handbook recommends firing at smaller AOBs if speed is uncertain, or for high speed targets.
Yes right. I always try to fire low giro angle. High giro are not for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMyBell View Post
I'm very grateful for your various insights and suggestions. I am using your advice and having much more success now.
I try to get close and at a 90 degree angle to the target. Then I lie in wait, then ambush! It's enormous fun.
I have become more aware of the importance of accurately estimating the target's speed.
I have also learned not to rush shots--better to pass and try again later than to rush and miss. Perhaps with more practice I'll get better at quick shots on the fly.
"Silent Hunter" is the perfect name. It really does feel like hunting.
I am still struggling to identify targets correctly. To me, the ship recognition manual is frustrating to use when I'm on high alert preparing for the next shot. However, I am beginning to think that target identification is not very important (except of course for confirming that the target is not from a neutral country). Specifying a torpedo depth of 4m seems to work well and if the range and speed estimates are correct, recognizing the target's identity is not helpful. Or do you disagree?
Thanks again!
I almost never identify target via the book.
Hydro man is telling me slow/medium/fast speed, and i estimate what ship i see so to know the speed i have to read on U-Jagd (up to 100m length, 150m length, 200m length). It helps to see the bow wave too for estimation, and the reports sometimes give the speed too.
I never plot things on map, i always play without map contacts. Visual estimation is my best friend
Then if i decide to shoot magnetic, i always set depth to 6M (90% of ships have >= depth) Furthermore it’s adapted to all kind of waves.
When firing contact, i usually set 5m depth.
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote