View Single Post
Old 05-12-21, 01:32 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Soviet Fanboi View Post
So I was doing my usual patrols in SH4 FOTRS, then I suddenly got attacked by a G4M1 Betty Bomber(I forgot to turn on my SD radar). I recieved a hull damage of 83 and I crash dived immediately after shooting down the bomber. I was in a depth of 113ft and suddenly my Chief Engineer spammed with words like Compressor Damaged! Pumps Damaged! We have heavy floading! Etc,etc. I was surprised and checked on my damage and yes it was really serious but it was too late and I got crushed due to water pressure. But the thing is I was at a depth of 113ft only and still I got crushed, 113ft is like 35ft and that's quiet less. I am damn sure that if I was on a type IXC u-boat on SH3 (Because I haven't played the u-boat campaign in SH4 yet) I would have survived. So the question is, why did American subs had a very weak hull or a very less test depth in comparison to a uboat?
Yea as beanie said, your hull integrity was severely compromised, 83 percent means 83 percent damaged, should not have tried to dive and turned for home immediately. Your boat was close to a total constructive loss.Not sure if FOTRS kept the number same but used to be if hull had 90 percent damage and you made it back to port, they retired the boat and her skipper typically.

Just a follow up, US subs could dive much much deeper than advertised, especially the Balao and Tench Class subs. Gato's went much deeper than their 300 ft test depth during war and even older boats such as Porpoise class went quite deep when forced to under combat conditions. I recall the Pollack went to 550 at one point, 250 ft test depth and a riveted hull I believe. They were sturdy, well built boats that could dive quite deep but for safety reasons, were rated quite conservatively in regards to max diving depth.

Most of time they were not required to go quite so deep and some submarine commanders were not willing to push their boats that deep unless forced by flooding etc, others such as O Kane did, taking the Tang to 600 feet during sea trials and in combat due to flooding went to 612 feet I believe it was.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote