View Single Post
Old 05-10-21, 01:59 PM   #3233
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

First, just wanted to compliment the team on the mod as a whole but in particular the Chidori/Otori torpedo boats, they are beautiful vessels. Nice to finally have a real representation of those nasty buggers in the sim lol. Modified it to work in TMO, couple encounters have proven tough, survived but tough.

Second, far as traffic goes, I believe it's just a matter of not detecting contacts. Early war, no radar, likely running at TC and contacts are just out of sight. Happens in TMO as well. Working on adjusting visual sensors for crew because I can see a contact at distance but they can't? lol NOt sure if vicker's has released a FOTRS version of his smoke mod, which gives merchants visible smoke plumes (how they are usually visually tracked at distance) but it really helps contact and track enemies. Example: During time dive do a sonar sweep, hear very distant props. Surface or in early war just raise scope if staying submerged, zoom in, can often see smoke on horizon very distant, something do not have without the smoke(another UBI oversight) .

Harbor traffic, is hit or miss how it spawns, way random groups in harbor traffic files are usually set is something like 50 percent chance every 900 hours etc.

I have not had chance to open up the guts of the traffic files in FOTRS but at a glance seems similar to stock TMO etc far as random generated shipping goes. One thing I noticed is if a group is set to begin spawning at say 1 January at midnight and the interval is set to (to keep it simple) 24 hours, the vessels will not actually spawn until 2 January at midnight. If the spawn chance is set to say 50 percent, then it may not spawn for a few days , its random. To keep a proper balance in TMO i changed the early war random generated single merchants*for most of them) to 25 percent chance every 96-120 hour, keeps traffic at a reasonable and realistic level while giving player chance to encounter targets for most part. Of course, some areas are busier than other. Reduced the flood lone merchants. I'm not sure what FOTRS has set to, I will look later.

One thing to keep in mind, submarines did not always find something to shoot at. I know can be boring when it happens in the sim, but part of it.

I remember a patrol early war where was out for 42 days and found nothing to shoot out. En route back to Pearl Harbor, ran across a large 8000 ton merchant . Perfect approach and shot....four premature explosions, fired two more as target zigged which would have had hit, but they were two deep runners and passed under kel. Ship had big guns fore and aft so waited until she was over horizon to surface and go for end around. During the chase, storms blew in, heavy seas and fog, lost contact, had to turn for home. It happens.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote