View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 06:23 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I would also be interested in which ffb wheel and pedals you use, or which you can advise.
Personally, I have worked up the ranks in the price hierarchy. I started with a Microsoft Sidewinder FFB Wheel, 20 years or so ago.

Next then came a Thrustmaster Ferrari 430.

Number three then was the classic Logitech G27, which imo offered very good buck for the bang. I money is a factor to consider, I still would recommend this combo. I do not know the newer model G29, some say its not as good, some say it is okay and en par. Shifter must be bought separately, with the G27 it came as an included item.

The G27 had the best quick mounting system I have ever seen in any wheel. Reference design imo.

And then I finally reached the upper league of quality with gear by Fanatech. Its obviously more expensive, but it indeed offers superior quality and massive, solid hardware (and good, quick service), while wheel and wheelbase are not even the top pricing category, I made compromises there (that I do not regret, the quality nevertheless is extremely good). The pedals and shifter however are top class, the pedals for a reason (see below).
The CSL Elite wheelbase and original (first generation) PS4-PC-compatabile wheel rim (two sorts of leathers used).

These two in combination form a good combo, because the wheelbase offers surprisingly strong and quick-reacting FFB and reaction time, and the rim is very light: very quick rotation is the result. As a VR driver exclusively, looks do not concern me, and Fanatech has some unbelievably sexy wheel rims on offer (but the prices...). Heavier wheels however better are used on the stronger wheelbases of theirs, I assume. this is not to say the CSL Elite base is weak, it isn't! I have dramatically reduced FFB, else it would move my table!
The CSL Elite wheelbase is out of production now.

However, and here I come to the asked-for recommendations, pedals I finally went with the best I could find for under 500. This is because a wheelrim and base and FFB may add to your sense of immersion, you may enjoy it by the looks and feels, but it will not make you a better, faster, technically more competent driver. But good quality pedals will do that! If the springs are too soft, you tend to notoriously over- or underdose the input, especially on the brake, result is you miss braking points and their according distances, and this makes itself felt, obviously. So my advise would always be: if you want to not just add immersion, but also want to become a techncially better driver, then first get better pedals, and the brake with not springs, but a loading cell, before you go after wheelrims and bases.

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals version 3:

Springs can be replaced with other versions (stiffer, softer), the load cell on the brake can be adjjusted as well. Additonal dampers can be attached. Gas and brake have spinners (vibrating motors).

I find it difficult to do extremely close infighting with cars dorr to door and bumper to bumper, or tightly crowded pack racing, without good pedals, especialyl the brake. The brake pedal is the most important single item in your combo! I just cannot get as precise and enduring with that precision, as is needed in such situations. Too much is left to luck with the brake dosing.

A manual shifter is an immerison thing completely. The one by Fanatec allows easy switching between H-pattern and sequential shifting modes, and comes with two different knobs, a steel (!) ball and a rally-car style steel knob. Heavy, and serious business, the weight is almost 3.5 kg. Very good feeling when kicking in the gears. Spring resistance can be adjusted. Height-adjustable.

More expensive I am not willing to go. This combo serves all my needs and desires, I love it.

DD drives, I have never had the opportunity to test one, but I assume they come to their real meaning only when hardmounted in dedicated sim racing platforms/cages, they are said to use so heavy forces that a simple table quick mount may not do the trick. Also, they are very expensive. To me and for my needs, they are not worth to worry about. I'm happy.

So, I can recommend my gear, but I invested almost around 1000 bucks into this. For quite some people I assume its not worth it, while others even spend factors more on it. If money is a concern, I would tell you to check the Logitech G29, but I have no experience with it. I would recommend as a budget wheel however the G27, if you still find it available.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-06-21 at 06:43 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote