Thread: Formula One
View Single Post
Old 04-19-21, 07:52 AM   #115
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Not entertaining?! Absurdly so, from my point of view, and not because Max won. I can only think your reaction is tempered by the results of the Mercedes cars. Very bad luck for Bottas, who was having a poor day anyway, and I've watched that incident a few times and still am not sure who was at fault. Must be devastating for Russell, whether he causes it or got caught up.

But the sheer number of spins, collisions, offs, overtakes and mistakes made this race a spectacle. Really enjoyed it. A few random observations....

Oh Checo. When Red Bull signed him I was the first to applaud it. Absolutely the right move for Red Bull considering all of the options in my view. But so far he has been a massive disappointment. It should have been a Red Bull one-two, and instead they only scored one car. Huge letdown and if Red Bull are to challenge this season he needs to snap out of it and start getting results. With Mercedes off colour yesterday a big opportunity was wasted.

Congrats to Kimi, and then it wasn't Disappointed to wake up and see he'd been docked. Hadn't seen the incident, but rule are rules. Alonso the beneficiary for his first point on his return.

The rookies looked every bit of it yesterday.

Lando Norris continues to impress. His pace compared to Ricciardo is startling. Great result for him even if he couldn't hold on to second from a charging Hamilton.

Hamilton could not have gotten luckier. The red flag right after his off at Tosa saved his day. Not sure why he gets to unlap himself at that point, but that was massive, and then he drove masterfully on the recovery so fair play to him. It left me feeling a little bitter, like when United score in the 12th minute of Fergie time. This really shook up the result and his fast lap near the end gave him the point which keeps him leading the title chase. If I were a neutral I'd be cheering this, but alas....

Mazepin is out of his depth. Maybe he'll come good, but I think a common thread in my after-race posts all season will be about how Haas made a fundamental mistake with his hire.

Another great team result for Ferrari. They don't quite have the straight line pace, surprisingly for them, but their car is much improved, and I think it will show in the downforce circuits. It should be a great battle all year between Fez and McLaren. That's great and a proper midfield battle makes for a better sport. I have to say Sainz is an upgrade over Vettel. Sainz had an adventure out there, but 4th and 5th is a good result.

Portugal is next, and should be interesting. Last year DRS felt overpowered down the start-finish straight. I'm hoping they shorten the zone a little to check that. This season is off to a great start.