View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 06:54 PM   #10
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Nice, you did what most of us only dream of!

Cold Waters is fun.

Look fwd to hearing any stories you want to tell. Which sub were you on?

Cheers Neal! I still have my rigged for dive mug you sent me years ago for being the first to reply to a post, as well as my 2007 Submarine Almanac. Any plans on making more of those?

I'd rather not say which boat it was exactly just for privacy reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I thought they did away with RM and IC rates and they're all just IT now.

I hope they've improved the bodies-to-racks ratio than in my time where we got to hot-rack as junior enlisted(I was on 594 and 688 class boats when I was in).

When I first joined, NAV OPS was a mixture of Electronics Technicians where you were an ETR (Radio/ESM), an ETV (QMs), or you were an IT if you liked to go home early and work as little as possible. Right before I left they merged us radio types with the ITs. It was quite a time teaching those nerds how to radio after having no background in it.

I am here to report that there is still plenty of hot-racking going on during local ops and significant hot-racking during deployments! That was not the most enjoyable part of my job. I didn't mind the racks themselves though. I thought it cozy to be in that tiny space and be pleasantly rocked to sleep. I even slept through a (planned) EMBT blow and had a good time gently becoming weightless as we lurched out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Your best bet for a Virginia class would still be DW.
The RA mod(s) might flip you out a bit when you see where they came from but the work is first-rate.

RM's are always welcome, I used to work with youse guys. (SS-580 and SSN-698 NAVOPS)

I don't know how it normally is, but NAVOPS was easily the best department on my boat. Fewest problems and best of guys.

And the Camaro is safe and waiting for me in storage!