View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 10:37 AM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
A board game I had as a kid and enjoyed was an American Heritage by Milton Bradley game titled Broadside and it was based on the naval actions of the War of 1812; there was a good sized board with a grid system and a set of blue (US) and red (UK) ships with removable masts that were used to navigate along the grid lines; the object was to position your ship, in alternating moves, in such a manner as to 'fire' a broadside at the your opponent, causing them to lose a mast; each fleet had ten ships, ranging from full-masted men-of-war to single masted schooners; you played until one of the fleets was fully dis-masted; one of the interesting strategic aspects is it allowed for maneuvers like 'crossing the T' allowing you to fire a broadside at your opponent while crossing their bow, costing them a mast and costing you nothing and the presence of shore batteries that could also dis-mast you if you wandered to close to land ; I used to play that game for hours with a neighbor kid back in the early '60s...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1508/broadside

<O>
I played that one and this also before Red Baron came along:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote