View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 10:27 AM   #2810
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Unusual Guadalcanal Experience

In my firsat patrol out of Fremantle in Thresher on 6/29/42 I went to the assigned area in the Makassar Strait at the Northern choke point. After completing all objectives there, I had almost no torpedos left, and since it was now August, decided to head to Brisbane for a restocking and possible targets up around Guadalcanal.

I restocked and reprovisioned at Brisbane on August 12 and then headed North. Upon arrival in the "canal" vicinity, I took up a position about 8.5 miles West of Savo and 8.5 miles North of Guadalcanal (Cape Esperence?).

Here's the strange part. Other than routine air patrols at various times daily from both NNW and SSE, I saw nothing for the next 2 months! Not one ship of either navy. I saw Henderson Field open up on September 12, and the base at Tulagi open on October 15. Otherwise, nothing. No ships, just planes.

I tried going to the other end of Guadalcanal - still nothing. Radar and Sonar saw no ships! I finally just gave up on game date November 5, reloaded a save from when I was at the Makassar choke point, and finished the patrol from there.

Is it possible I "broke" something by just hanging around? I doubt I was in their spawning spot, because in previous careers I have been steamrolled by strings of IJN supply ships and other DDs from that very spot. Or might it be an effect of the Tulagi stuff you are working on?

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.5.0.150
[G:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.39_EN
399_NoScrollNavMap
450_Lite Fog v2 + 300' Underwater Visability
452_MoonlightzSonarLines
801_UMark Invisible
901_strategic_map_symbols
FotRSU_NipponMaru_Public_Beta_v1.1_Build

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote