View Single Post
Old 02-21-21, 09:45 AM   #217
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
3 weeks is still short. Realistically, aim for 3-4 months. That timeframe can be prepared for if you invest a low 4-digit budget, and have the space, one room, to store it.

The reason is simply that if ther eis a nationw ide power blackoput lasting for lets say 3-5 days, it will take weeks and months to bring the poiwergrid back online (assuming that option still exists), a longer power grid is nothign that can be easily turned on again after it was off for that long. Consider sweet water from pipes not comign back before after weeks. Consider that supply line shad failed for mlogn time, and logistics will be seriousl interrupted therefore for longer time than just the power blackout lasted.

Also, passive warming options if heating is off. Texans learned it the hard way these days. By passive I mean clothes, sleeping bags, all of according type and quality. Ask you granparents, if they still live. They still remember easy tricks.

Finally, weapons to defend what you have, and a quarter where you löivbe or where you quickly could move to, that is above average secured, can be defended against plunderers.

A power blackput of lasting quality is somethignt at causes disruptions for severla times as long time as the blackout lasted. One night, a few hours, is one thing.

I am not aiming at wanting to survive the apocalypse - why would anyone want that...? But I want to be bale to comfortbaly sit out sudden shop hord8ng ewars like the toilet aper thing in the early days of corona. and serious desaster for a time of up to 3 months - and I want that reserve beign there every day of the year, with no further preparation needed.

And the most important rule: ration form beginning on, since you do not know what is coming and how long it will last.
True. Three weeks is my target, though I'm sure there's enough food for a couple months. I just don't expect any hurricane or freeze to shut down the trucks to the store for more than that. And you are right, rationing should take effect immediately, as you said, you just don't know how long a disaster will last.

Now, for the collapse of society or something that means stores are empty, power is out, no one has a job for months; that could happen but it would be unprecedented. I really don't have a plan for that, other than return to the ranch and dig in. The neighbors and my family would form a group and I would be guarding cattle from starving Houstonians. I can see it now, I'm engrossed in a book and a desperate band of urbanites overwhelms me. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I've been talking about "practical disasters" in this thread. Things like floods, tornados, blizzards and heavy snow fall that result in a disaster area.

If you're in a situation where you're looking at long-term hardship (loss of power for more than 4-5 days), bug out. As long as the roads are passable all you need to do is drive 100-400 miles until you see houses with the lights on.

Staying in a disaster area for a prolonged period only opens you up to a greater risk of infections, dysentery, parasites, and bullet wounds. Leave the fighting to the cave men and get out.

Keep your important papers (titles, mortgages, birth certificates, policies, bank records, passports, ID) in a zip-type plastic bag and take it with you.
Bug out to where? Hotel in another area? Relatives? Country estate? That could be a problem if the disaster is widespread, lot of people, no place to go. Plus you would need to leave before the disaster, in many cases, to be able to travel. If you can get out and you have a place to go, that would be smart.