View Single Post
Old 02-20-21, 08:27 PM   #215
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

3 weeks is still short. Realistically, aim for 3-4 months. That timeframe can be prepared for if you invest a low 4-digit budget, and have the space, one room, to store it.

The reason is simply that if ther eis a nationw ide power blackoput lasting for lets say 3-5 days, it will take weeks and months to bring the poiwergrid back online (assuming that option still exists), a longer power grid is nothign that can be easily turned on again after it was off for that long. Consider sweet water from pipes not comign back before after weeks. Consider that supply line shad failed for mlogn time, and logistics will be seriousl interrupted therefore for longer time than just the power blackout lasted.

I aimed at mixing emergency ratios (NRG-5), canned food (fish, MREs) , cereals plus "atste-givers" (conserved sauces or whatever) at eqaul ammounts (measured in days). Plus a variety of different ioptions to heat water or a meal, I made sure that wahtever sort of fuel I can get when reserves are off - I can make use if it, no matter what kind of fuel it is, (including wood).

We talk not about havign a healthy meal every day. We talk emergency: we talk about calories, some variation in tastes (proven tastes that you like, dpo not buy cans you do not like), and water (exlsuively for drinkling).

We also talk medical items, batteries, light both electric and candle. All in big quantities.

Also, passive warming options if heating is off. Texans learned it the hard way these days. By passive I mean clothes, sleeping bags, all of according type and quality. Ask you granparents, if they still live. They still remember easy tricks.

Finally, weapons to defend what you have, and a quarter where you löivbe or where you quickly could move to, that is above average secured, can be defended against plunderers.

A power blackput of lasting quality is somethignt at causes disruptions for severla times as long time as the blackout lasted. One night, a few hours, is one thing.

I am not aiming at wanting to survive the apocalypse - why would anyone want that...? But I want to be bale to comfortbaly sit out sudden shop hord8ng ewars like the toilet aper thing in the early days of corona. and serious desaster for a time of up to 3 months - and I want that reserve beign there every day of the year, with no further preparation needed.

I have integrated parts of the food and household item reserves into my ordinary daily and weekly consume-and-resupply scheme. This kind of rotating stock-keeping is somethign that just 2-3 generations ago was very common and every household, especially if not living in big cities, practiced it. Modern delivery-on-demand is for stupids. Modern, but stupid. Our granparents thought rotating stock-keeping was clever. And it was, and is!

P.S. Stockpile drinking water not in palastic bags, but glas bags. Buy sparkling water, it provides additional desonfecting protection. Have empty storage tools like water bags and canisters and so forth ready, to fill them with usage water if you have time left to get prepared. People often overlook what effect it will be when the toilet flushing is off in a city and for longer time.

And the most important rule: ration form beginning on, since you do not know what is coming and how long it will last.

Have sweets, chocolate,cookies: and lots of them. They chemically boost morale, whcih is reölevant if you are not alone, and have maybe even chilkdren around. Emergencies are the wrong time to think of healthy diets.

I recommend also coconut oil/fat (depends on the temperature only). Easy to store, extrenely versatile, keeps fresh for long wothout needing cooling, and is an excellent energy supplier - AND is more uncritical for health concerns of any kind. Also, it tastes great, I even do it into my coffee sometimes.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-20-21 at 08:43 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote