View Single Post
Old 02-06-21, 12:31 PM   #2709
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This is one of the vagaries of the game... After receiving a new gun, and / or changing your existing gun, it is always prudent upon exiting the home port, and outside of the green circle, to Save the game, exit, re-start the game, and then Load that Save. You should then be able to put the crew at their stations on both guns, and when issuing "Battle Stations, guns", be able to "see" the crews at their stations. If not, let me know. Also, when you post back, tell me more about your Balao boat:
1. When and how did you get the boat? ie: "upgrade", new career, etc.
2. What was the date you acquired the boat?
3. Any other issues, such as patrol assignments, etc., other than the guns?
4. Are the radars functioning properly at this time, during the gun issues?
5. How did you get the gun(s)? The 40mm is an automatic "upgrade", whereas the dual 5" should be a purposeful skipper choice.
6. Were there any crew slots on the crew page for the guns?
7. Did you go back and forth on the pages, trying to "force" the game to properly display?
Thanks
Hi PB,

That technique did not work. I deleted the only Save of the patrol in progress (the first with dual 5" guns), exited the program, started in port from the autosave, went out 75 km (there's no circle on Saipan, incidentally), saved, exited, restarted at that point, and ordered battle stations.

The aft gun was unmanned and no crew slots were created. The fore gun was manned but reload time was 17 seconds; on prior patrols and at normal ranges, reload time was almost equal to flight time.

Before deleting, I checked the replay of a surface action involving both guns: fore was manned but very slow; aft was unmanned but trained and fired, albeit at very slow speed.

I had tried this technique with the 40mm upgrade but nothing happened.

1. We were offered a new boat, the Balao, after ending a patrol in Tulagi, our first one based from there, IIRC. FWIW, we recently declined a far-too-early Tench, but did add four extra bow torpedoes to compensate.
2. It was offered on 2/4/43. First patrol began on 2/21/43 to the SOWESPAC from Mare Island; second patrol began the sea trials.
3. There have been several CTDs over the 18 months since then, as well as one patrol reported earlier where we encountered virtually nothing: "Other than sailing vessels, the only MV underway that we encountered was a DD we'd triggered by coming too close to one of the coastal bunkers in the Basilan Passage. Decided to raid a certain anchorage to finally score some tonnage, which led to the only MV merchant and two other warships on the entire patrol, all three anchored."
4. On the last completed patrol, i.e. just before the dual 5" upgrade, we detected a ship via sonar instead of radar, and even that at rather short range. It was visually detected in calm conditions at 8.5 km after only an unusually brief approach. The radar behaved normally after that.
5. The twin 40mm guns were a voluntary upgrade a couple of patrols ago, date unknown. The dual 5" guns were a voluntary upgrade at the beginning of this patrol in early Nov 1944.

FWIW, the original Balao AA suite was twin 20mm cannons; the single 40mm guns were a later, voluntary upgrade.

6. 40mm - one slot/gun; twin 40mm - one slot/gun; existing single 5" gun - 4 slots (constant since the 4" days); dual 5" gun - same 4 slots for the bow gun, none for the aft gun
7. Yes, on each upgrade.

By the way, is there supposed to be a crewman whose battle station is halfway up the ladder to the bridge from the conning tower, even when we're at 150 meters?

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 02-06-21 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Correction: It was the Sibutu Passage, not the Basilan
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote