View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 02:52 PM   #13170
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
And with people that want to advance in the the wrong direction that period becomes more and more likely to extent.
This has nothing to do with extending the use of oil. As I said the oil will come to the USA from the Alberta Tar Sands one way or another. There are only two ways, by rail or by pipeline. If the current section of the Keystone is at full capacity then the oil will come by rail. This is a possibility with that method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-Mé..._rail_disaster

Forty seven people died and the cleanup cost in excess of $400 million.

Quote:
The fossil age is about to end. There are different environmental, economic, and geopolitical reasons for that. Period.
I for one am not arguing that point. But smart people would realize that it is a long way in the future and that until then reasonable decisions have to be made. I understand all of the reasons why people are opposed to this pipeline but considering the alternative and the reality of fossil fuel use in the near future I think it is a mistake. Oil currently is moved from Alberta to refineries in Illinois and Texas by phase one of the Keystone Pipeline and by railcar. Phase four which Biden is cancelling is a more direct route to the same destination and would reduce or eleiminate the use of rail transportation of crude oil.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke