View Single Post
Old 01-16-21, 01:43 PM   #2569
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post
Almost the exact same problem here, just east of the Japanese coast. 1st patrol, sunk 2 ships, headed north along the coast. Submerge due to air traffic. Sonar detects three more south west of my position. Turn south, see their stacks long range with the scope.

Decide to get some sleep and continue the next day.

Load game back up, search along the same bearings I'm still hearing, cannot get a visual. During scope search CTD. Reload, use TC, CTD at probably the same time. Reload again, try different maneuvers, CTD.

In Gar class, 1st patrol out of Midway early 42.
I've since encountered this again in Truk, again with multiple ships and planes, leading me to assume it was related to the game's system resources being strained. However, I just completed two sea trial patrols which involved transiting Golden Gate to Mare Island, a route along which there are 2x-3x more contacts than Truk or the Inland Sea, all of which the Balao's watch insisted in cataloging in excruciating detail. No CTD, despite my efforts at max TC.

Incidentally, PB, I just had a third assignment to Truk. You recall the issue posted from the first one, the Yamato convoy E of Dublon. The second assignment went more normally: ambushed an exiting convoy at the SW approaches which had been still inside the atoll when detected, then penetrated the harbor and sinking anchored capital ships (and a frozen MPF once). Each time the game CTDed as I nearly escaped the lagoon, which I attributed to system resource constraints. It's almost as if the game refuses to allow harbor raiding there. Eventually I declined the raid and went N, where I discovered a frozen Shokaku and modern passenger transport. Sank both, then proceeded back to Mare Island to start sea trials (although this was the Balao we'd just upgraded to). No CTD.

Anyway, patrol 3 is in early stages of recon, circumnavigating the atoll, but advanced enough to note a pattern that might be worthwhile:
Patrol 1: Two warships reported individually via Magic as moving at 5 kts, although within the harbors.
Patrol 2: Two warships reported individually via Magic as stationary.
Patrol 3: Two warships reported individually via Magic; one at 5 kts, one stationary.

Patrol 3 is 8/19/43, ex-Mare Island, assigned to the Carolines. Presumably the home port will be changed during this assignment.

FWIW, kudos on:
- Adding Tulagi as a base, though I've lost it again on the upgrade. Oddly, there's the option after the first sea trial patrol of transferring to Brisbane (and only Brisbane).
- The aerial spectacles in assignments to the Dampier/Vitiaz Straits region. I'd only seen similar north of the Marianas in 1945, and then only briefly and unpredictably.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 01-16-21 at 01:53 PM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote