View Single Post
Old 01-07-21, 08:12 PM   #12434
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I thought this article was very thought provoking and comprehensive. I don't agree with all of his ideas and conclusions, but it's completely unbiased in that left and right are treated equally harshly. It should make a good read by both sides of the forum although you all might wince once and awhile. I did. Hard to argue with some of his conclusions though. Our foreign commentator contingent will surely get something to feel superior over as well. I look forward to mostly ignoring or mocking their condescending remarks over passages i'm sure they'll find particularly amusing.

Quote:
The Five Crises of the American Regime

The mob assault on the Capitol is simply another entry in the catalog of American decline

byMichael Lind
January 07, 2021

In the last eight months, two Capitol Hills have fallen. Two shocking events symbolize the abdication of authority by America’s ruling class, an abdication that has led to what can be described, not without exaggeration, as the slow-motion disintegration of the United States of America in its present form.The first occurred on June 8, 2020, when the Seattle police evacuated their East Precinct building in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle, Washington. Left-wing rioters stormed the police headquarters and looted it. For 24 days, Seattle’s government allowed would-be revolutionaries to create an anarchist commune, acting out the fantasy of “abolishing the police” embraced by much of the American left as well as liberals who should have known better. This anarchist commune, created in the midst of nationwide protests against the death on May 25 of a Black Minnesotan, George Floyd, in police custody, was the scene of the fatal shootings of two Black men before the police finally shut it down on July 1.

On January 6, 2021, America’s elite abandoned another Capitol Hill to rioters. After President Donald Trump stirred them up in an incendiary address in which he claimed that Joe Biden had stolen the presidency from him, a mob of right-wing radicals broke into the United States Capitol, where the certification of the results of last November’s election results was taking place. Like the leaders of Seattle in June, America’s congressional leaders abandoned their posts and fled. In the ensuring chaos, the Trumpist rioters, mostly men wearing MAGA hats or more exotic outfits, posed for selfies in the well of the House chamber or in the legislative offices they broke into. Shots were fired, fatally killing a woman. Three others died as a result of “medical emergencies.” As in Seattle’s Capitol Hill, so in America’s: The forces of legitimate authority and coercive order for a period were nowhere to be seen.

What is the meaning of these dystopian scenes? Many Democrats claim that Republicans are destroying the republic. Many Republicans claim the reverse. They are both correct.
The leaders of both parties have weaponized anarchic mobs against their rivals—the Democrats, by tacitly encouraging and bailing out foundation-funded NGO staffers with secret identities and superhero-style Antifa outfits during the tolerated anti-Trump riots of Summer 2020, and now the squalid, defeated demagogue Donald Trump, unleashing his own costumed followers on the U.S. Capitol itself. As a rule, comparisons between the United States and Weimar Germany or late republican Rome are misleading, but when rival elite political factions tolerate or encourage mob violence in the streets, the comparisons might be forgiven.
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/n...apitol-assault