View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 09:05 AM   #5560
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'll start to worry if we (the UK) get anywhere near that of the US and best we not take the Americas and lump them all together.

Unless our borders are open to each other I wouldn't lump the U.S. together with Canada and Mexico any more than I would lump the E.U. Russia and 'The' Ukraine.

Old European nationalism is dead there's nothing left but an illusion of complete autonomy. The greater E.U. is very similar to the United States when it comes to open borders between the member states of its Union and the viral vector paths liberty like that creates. Only difference really by law we cannot close internal borders. You can but the commission has since persuaded their reopening for the greater good of the union and economy. Most likely why the European Union Center for Disease Prevention and Control (not me) as you say 'lumps' the numbers together and tracks the Union as a whole, including the U.K.

Quote:
In a package of proposals to enable travelling to resume safely in the EU, the Commission proposed on 13 May to countries that are part of the Schengen zone to gradually reopen their internal borders. The emphasis is on coordination, no discrimination based on nationality and the respect of common health-related criteria based on guidance by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.

EU interior ministers confirmed on 5 June that most member states will have lifted the controls at their internal borders and the related travel restrictions by 15 June, with others due to follow by the end of the month. Ministers agreed to continue to coordinate closely under the lead of the Commission. Ahead of the 15 June deadline, the Commission issued further recommendations on how to lift restrictions with non-EU countries after 1 July 2020
“If we fail to restore the integrity of Schengen, we would seriously endanger the European project,” Fajon said. MEPs therefore want to ensure that any future internal borders controls remain truly exceptional and very limited in time."

Essentially they sound the same as Trump, just more refined and socially acceptable speech.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-29-20 at 10:23 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote