View Single Post
Old 10-14-20, 03:22 PM   #2007
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I don't know what you are encountering Gray Lensman, but "details" would help us help you... You mention "A temporary deletion of the /Users/Name/Documents/SH4 and rebuild eliminates the bug but..." You cannot "temporarily" delete the folder and then restore it after activating the mod. It has to be permanently eliminated, if you haven't done that. Otherwise, any incompatibilities are re-introduced to the modded game.

I have both TMO and FotRSU installed (as well as a half-dozen other mods) in my Games folder by use of MultiSH4. That way, I can noodle in which ever version of the game I want to... One of the big things with FotRSU is a "proper" LAA (or similar) activation on an SH4.exe file that is NOT write-protected... Let us know please:
1. Where you have your SH4 installed?
2. Your OS, whether 32-bit or 64-bit and how much RAM you have?
3. Did you use a "fresh" SH4 install, whether a re-install or from an archive?
4. Which version of the mod are you attempting to use?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding your issues?
Let us know what you can either way though, so that we can look for potential problems in the mod. Thanks

Okay... What I meant by "temporary deletion" of the Users/Name/Documents/SH4/ folder was to Cut and Paste it elsewhere on the hard drive so that Silent Hunter would create a new one in its place. When that was done, I reentered the game and just temporarily started a new career to see if the "sonar" UI bug described previously persisted. It didn't, which indicated that the bug was in a corrupted file in the SH4 folder that I had pasted aside. When I had confirmed that the "new" /SH4 folder was not corrupted, I deleted that new /SH4 folder and copy/pasted the bugged /SH4 folder back in place, restarted the game, loaded up a previously saved game and checked it one more time and the sonar UI bug was back. So "Yes" you can temporarily delete the folder for testing purposes and restore it when done testing. I just didn't "advance" the game beyond retesting the saved games for this "sonar" bug to isolate where the corrupted file might be located. (Basically, since it was affecting ALL the previously saved games, I wanted to know if a file in the Steam installation folder had been corrupted or the /SH4 folder)

This "mouse" UI sonar bug, once introduced affected all the half dozen or so saved games that I had previously made "that had been just fine" until the bug was introduced, so it wasn't the actual saved game files themselves. It had to be in one of the other files in the /SH4 folder itself that had been written to and corrupted such that it universally affected ALL the previously saved games, not just the last one. I've had saved game corruption errors before, but only rarely and it usually only affected the one particular saved game and maybe persisted in those that follow, NOT those made before the corruption took place.

1. SH4 installed in the Steam folder (Not in Program Files AND neither is Steam. I've been running SH4 in Steam for at least 5 years or more with no problems.
2. My OS is Windows 10 64-bit AND I'm running the LAA SH4 executable. Again, no problems for 5 years playing TMO.
3. Each time I encounter these corruption bugs. I totally uninstall/reinstall SH4, Wolves update, and recreate the Mod folder from scratch. I also delete the /Users/Name/Document/SH4 folder.
4. I was attempting to use the 100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN version.
5. Circumstances described above in previous post.

Not trying to "dis" on FOTRS. It looks and feels fantastic compared to TMO, and the additional content is fabulous, but it gets very aggravating uninstalling/reinstalling after corruption bugs which seem more numerous in FOTRS than TMO. My 2 cents, and I could be wrong, but it appears this MOD may be attempting to actually do too much in regards to data writes to the /SH4 folder, maybe a timing issue when the sub status data gets written/rewritten/overwritten.

edit> Trying to decide if I really want to continue with FOTRS or not. I could mitigate the corruption issues by literally copying the entire /SH4 folder and renaming and date/time stamping elsewhere each time I saved but that might be more trouble than it's worth. I really like the added content and graphics.... Hmmm... decisions, decisions... ah ha, .bat file(s) may be useful.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 10-14-20 at 05:25 PM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote