View Single Post
Old 09-09-20, 06:57 PM   #1787
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
For your situation Mios 4Me, what I have done with my Steam version of the game is removed all mods, run the Steam "verify game files" to get a "fresh" stock install. This is when using the Uboat Missions Add-On for the v1.5 Steam version of the game... Navigate into that version of the Steam game's main folder, use <Ctrl><A> to Select All. Right-click in that window such that you get a context menu, and select "Properties" from that. In that little pop-up window, at the bottom of the "General" tab is the "Attributes" section. Notice the "Read-only" box has a grey check mark in it. Click on that so that it "clears" it. Click on "OK", and you will then be prompted as to whether you want to apply it to all files in all sub-folders. Tell it yes, you do. It will take a few minutes to run. If you have 7zip installed with context for Windows Explorer, you can then do that <Ctrl><A> trick again, and this time, right-click and choose "7zip -->" and "Add to archive". Name it what you will remember it, such as "StockSteamSH4v15" or whatever. If you don't have 7zip (you really should), then use the "Send To" context menu choice instead, and use the "compressed (zipped) folder", and again, name it something you'll remember. Make yourself a New Folder in your Steam / SteamApps / Common folder (or where ever your Library folder is). Name it something memorable, such as FotRSU121, and then copy that zipped file you just made into the New Folder. Now extract that, and it will be your FotRSU game folder.

Make yourself a MODS folder inside that New FotRSU game folder, and put the FotRSU v1.21 mod into it. Extract that with 7zip (or the Windows utility). Just be careful of the folder structure. Grab the JSGME.zip file from the Extras folder of the mod after the extraction, and drag it to the "root" game folder and extract. Run JSGME.exe and use the MODS folder you already made and then activate FotRSU. It will take several minutes. Now open the MultiSH4.exe file, and type in 3 letters for your Save folder, such as "FRS" or whatever. It should "take" fine. If it does happen to error, select the "FileManager.dll" file in that root game folder, right-click it and choose "Properties". Then clear the tick mark from the "Read-only" box and "OK" that... now try MultiSH4.exe again and set that new Save folder. Once you have that, run LAA and add SH3.exe to it for a "True" setting, or use the 4gig Patch file, or the NTcore utility - pick your poison. The other two are not included with the mod though. You are now set to play "plain" FotRSU. You can grab and combination of the AddInModPak mods, being careful of the numbering scheme.

If you already had used MultiSH4 and have a folder named "FRS", as in my example above, then open that FRS folder in your Documents folder, and delete its contents prior to playing FotRSU v1.21. After that, on most systems, you can double-click on the SH4.exe file, and it will If not, then you'll probably have to use the Steam app on your computer, log-in, and "Add a non-Steam game" to the Steam Start Menu, and it should run it fine through that. I have to do that with my SH3 Steam copy on this Win7 desktop.

Doing the above, you can keep your original Steam install as "Stock", and mod copies of the install as you see fit, and each of those copies have their own Save folder, greatly reducing the possibility of cross-contamination...
First off, thanks for taking the time to write that out, Propbeanie.

Second, I'm in the midst of reinstalling but have reached a stopping place. When I extracted and restarted JSGME, it already had four mods enabled when I opened the interface. I had run Your Uninstaller and CCleaner to remove Steam, FotRSUE, and SH4 and then restarted, so this should not have happened. I've tried searching for JSGME and Jones through Windows Explorer and Your Uninstaller to no avail. Any idea where else this could have been stored?

Incidentally, the grey check box for "Read Only" is not checked in the SH4 folder when downloaded through the Steam app.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 09-09-20 at 07:16 PM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote