View Single Post
Old 08-21-20, 12:58 PM   #3289
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default the true nature of parenthood 101

Nope! I did my mosquito infested canoeing in the Quetico/BoundaryWaters/Superior Wilderness: two weeklong outings with church groups (66'-67) and two ('69) as an 18 yearold YMCA Asst. counselor with ten snotty 10-year- olds: ie; my first fleet command action (6 fully loaded Grumman canoes-huge unergonomic Duluth packs) and I didn't lose a man -incl. my baby brother who mom had shipped to the camp 'cause I was working there!! Guide, cook and navigator and drag-man to make sure all the gear and kids got from one lake to the next on rainsoaked mile+ long portages. Getting the little buggers to this famous lady's trade post dazzled my senior counselor(a college sophmore) when she recognized me from a previous voyage by name: "you really have been here!" Knife Lake Dorothy>
Quote:
She was known as "Knife Lake Dorothy" or as the "Root Beer Lady", as she made root beer and sold it to thousands of passing canoeists in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW), near Ely, Minnesota. Various factors combined to give her national prominence, extensive coverage in media, books and documentaries, and tens of thousands of visits by Boundary Waters Canoe Area canoeists. Through a combination of her remote location and BWCAW wilderness restrictions against motors and motorized travel, Molter's home was amongst the most isolated in the country. The nearest road required 15 miles of travel by water and five portages over land to reach. It typically took approximately 1½ days of travel from her home to reach the nearest road, and her home was approximately 36 miles (58 km) from the nearest (small) town.
Her passing was in the papers in '86 and I was greatly saddened to hear of it! The rootbeer after campfire food for 12 people was fabulous!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-21-20 at 01:07 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote