View Single Post
Old 08-18-20, 01:49 PM   #172
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I saw a display of God's power one time ... I was high on a cliff above La Jolla, CA just sitting in my car. I could see out to sea for miles when this awesome thunder and lightning storm developed.

You could feel the power and the smell of the air was different too.

Never forget it

Back in the early 70s, the segment of Intestate 5 running through the San Joaquin Valley in CA was opened and was along, long, desolate straight line stretch of about 300 miles; there were no gas stations, towns, rest stops, or anything else other than bleak wide open spaces, something I hadn't seen since a trip through Texas; traffic was also very sparse since the stretch was brand new and the accommodations were non-existent; I was co-driving a load of furniture in a 24 foot truck and we decided to try out the new stretch of road, after first fueling up and stocking up at the beginning of the stretch; we were driving overnight from LA to San Francisco and the segment was mainly pitch black as road lighting was very far between in most of the run; about halfway through, a giant lightning storm brewed up and it was spectacular; the bursts would light up the road and its surroundings in flashes strobe light effect; at one point my co-driver and I turned to look at each other as we had the same thought; we were the highest point in a very flat stretch of land and, on top of that, we were a massive chunk of metal; we immediately stopped our sightseeing of the pretty lights and floored it to get the hell out of there as fast as possible...

<O>