View Single Post
Old 07-12-20, 11:03 AM   #154
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
It was almost unwatchable.

It's hard for me to believe that Tom Hanks could be involved in something this bad. Hanks' previous work as a producer in Band of Brothers, The Pacific and as an actor and producer in Saving Private Ryan were all beyond reproach.

One has to wonder if anyone involved in this movie ever watched Das Boot? Or read up on U-boat tactics during WW2. I'm going to say they didn't or decided to ignore basic military history to make a Hollywood version of reality.

I give it zero stars.
like I said...'poetic license'. Entertainment only and better than U-571. Also, did uboats harass/threaten convoy commanders on their radios?!! as depicted in the movie. By that period the Germans knew their transmission were trackable, just not how accurately on 'huff-duff'. I cannot find anything, if there is anything, on the subject. BOTTOM LINE: I go to movies for entertainment, and I was. Bloopers and all...with two gin & tonics! EDIT: I did pickup on the command dialog: "come to port, handsomely"; a new one for me and my Catalina captain/gin-mixologist. Looking it up this AM: it means "full rudder in direction order carefully, without jamming the rudder(s)" My captain mockingly says from now on when tacking...we will: "prepare to come-about...handsomely". Having actually lost a rudder(snapped at the lower pintel while tacking) in 4' whitecap waves, causing much loss of control, handsomely would be good! Thus, Mr. Hanks has taught me something new!! One star!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-12-20 at 11:34 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote