View Single Post
Old 06-29-20, 04:57 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I don'T think we will ever be without wars. Fighting is part of life and practically all living nature is steeped in it. Trees for light, germs versus cells, carnivore predator versus prey, mating rivals amongst each others - the list is endless. Us humans seem to have kind of perfected both the drive for competition, and the drive to wage war for motives that are unique for us and are not shared by any animal species. We are super-predators, and we are super-competitors, and we are warriors.

Thats no praise and no glorification by me, just a sober realization. And much of what defines our technical/technological superiority, comes from our endless drive to fight, to wage war. Hardly any other cultural influence roots this deep in us. A German phrase says that war is the creator of all things, and it is not meant as glorification, but just a description of how so very many later achievements that define our civilizational advance were founded on mere martial needs in times before.

All this is the reason why I am pessimistic about a world peace breaking out all of a sudden. People will always find excuses for trying to subjugate others to their will by force. And it is absolutely possible that this way we one day reduce ourselves to ashes. If we do not meet a hostile challenge form beyond our planet before that.

We usually always want to assume that if life exists out there and it is intelligent and superior in its evolutionary state, it will be peaceful and caring for us, reasonable by our definition of "reasonable". Well. I leave it to that I do not belong to this church. I expect to see many demons amongst the angels. Or beings that simply do not mind for us and our wishes, and maybe snip us out of their way just because we happened to be that mosquito landing on somebody else'S arm. Because the point is - an alien life form, if it has not seeded us, will have no causal linkup to us, our culture, our history, our religions, our morals and values, our emotions, our ethics. Its bigoted to conclude from ourselves on alien civilisations. Or alien predatory herds.