View Single Post
Old 06-16-20, 01:42 AM   #85
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I am working my way through the IJN surface submarines and have a couple of questions about their silhouettes.

Several of the vessels have a float plane available to them and the old silhouettes show the plane assembled out of its hangar and on the fore deck. How often was this done because I would assume the subs would run on the surface without the float plane on deck. I am considering making the silhouettes with just the guns and conning tower visible.

Next, with subs running on the surface, are the periscopes visible on the model of the conning tower or are they fully retracted?

Finally I have a time-saving tip for folks using Blender who encounter the dreaded "object is inside out" problem when exporting objects from S3D. There is a simple tool to sort that out with a single operation without having to exit Blender.

Select the offending object then click Edit Mode - Mesh - Normals - Reset Vectors.

I did try the "Flip" and "Recalculate Outside" tools first but they didn't seem to help.

This gets round the problem of exporting all the parts of a model, putting them into place and then discovering that you should have deselected Flip Face Winding back when you were exporting from S3D. No more time wasting!