View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 07:39 PM   #219
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

There are immense differences in training quality between US and European polices. The focus also is different, and most likely far more complex and complete in Europe.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-tr...95546384791691

That article describes an incident from 2015, mentioning that the involved officers got training for just 9 or 11 weeks!

In Germany, it depends whether you become a police officer bei "Ausbildung" or "Studium". It lasts 2.5 and 3 years.

One can expect that in Europe the focus is far more inclusive of soft skills and psychological conflict (and stress) management.

Jim can tell how training is in the UK, I found no real helpful numbers on total training times. Just several courses listed that lasted from several weeks to up to one year, with most or all of them needing to be taken and passed.

It also gets said over here time and again that by comparison a tremendously higher ammount of ex-soldiers join the police in the US. I strongly suspect the military, combat-focussed attitude taught in the military, gets carried over then, including that strongly competitive team spriit of "us against them". Just that warriors should be left in the army, not being put into the civil police force that makes the cops you see on the streets. SWAT and special teams , counter terror and such, okay. But the ordinary police cop? "Soft" may have a foul taste for some, but "soft skills", communication, stress management, psychological handling of people and situation, is important for police work. After all, the streets are not Normandy beach.

That those 57 others quit the emergency support team in solidarity with those two colleagues, by all what is known I conclude shows a troubling mindset and a wrong attitude. They should be removed from police service if supporting the two is their consequence of this action. By all what is known so far.

Warriors into the army, but not into the police. Solidarity and loyalty can be misled. And as my grandfather used to say: there can be no such thing as a "corrupt cop". There only are cops, and corrupt people. Corrupt people are no cops, even if they wear a uniform or have a badge.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-05-20 at 07:52 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote