View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 01:27 AM   #28
Ubotatflip
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Hey Ubotatflip! As Aktungbby says: "Welcome to SubSim!" (using different words, of course )

Secondly, what mods are you running on your Steam SH4? What version of Windows are you using, and is it 64-bit or 32-bit? Where did you install Steam, and where did you install Silent Hunter 4? Do you have a 2nd hard drive or partition available for a 2nd Steam Library folder? Do you "shell-out" to Windows while playing SH4? ie: You see a ship, use the <Windows> to temporarily exit and look it up on the internet, and then go back into the game... ?? Let us know all of those details you can!
Hi propbeanie, thanks for the warm welcome!

Sure, I'll try to go through all the points:

Mods: No Mods installed (btw what Mod would you recommend for staying as
close as possible to vanilla with just bug fixes and general improvements?)
Windows: Windows 10 (I guess that means 64bit, correct?)
Steam Install folder: C:\Steam
SH IV Install Folder: C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific
Drives: I only have one partition and no 2nd harddrive

Shell-out: Yes I used to "shell-out" quite often using ALT-Tab during the game. Mostly it was too look up tactics on strategies on Subsim and also not to make the wife angry when she would see I was playing that "Uboat stuff" again I avoid that know because in an earlier post it was stated that this could be the cause of such problems.

Gentlemen, yesterday, I attacked my first real convoy (using a lot of great tipps from these forums on how to plot intercept courses) and the game was stable and did not lag at all. It was quite a large convoy and my computer handled it well, so for now I think this confirms my hypothesis that I don't have general memory issues (I have LAA installed just in case!), but that the CTD were caused by this massive "ghost" convoy.

Btw. I managed to sink two ships, although more by luck than anything. I felt pretty confident with the manual targeting in the training missions, but it turns out its not so easy to keep your cool in a "real" convoy attack situation. Bottom line is, both my torpedo salvos missed their intended target by far, however they accidently hit other ships and two frighters went down
Ubotatflip is offline   Reply With Quote