Thread: Freedom
View Single Post
Old 05-27-20, 10:16 PM   #7
Skweetis
Watch Officer

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

The freedom we live in is not freedom to. Its freedom from.

Freedom to do what I want, is not the same thing as the freedom I have from other peoples bull****.

I'd rather be free from getting killed by a drunk driver, rather than the personal freedom of being able to drive drunk.

I live in Canada. I feel I'm pretty free to do the things I want to do. I'm not restricted in where I go (current global circumstances aside), I can freely criticize or praise my governments as I see fit. I can speak my mind freely with all the social consequences that comes with.

But none of that ever concerned me really. The greatest freedom I ever felt was the day my mortgage was paid, and I was free of debt, except for the debts I chose (which haven't been many).

THAT was freedom. Being able to say '**** you' at my job and still own a roof over my head, have a vehicle that's paid for, have a full belly and make the rest of my ends meet easily? That's freedom as far as I'm concerned.

My kids, and especially grandkids? Yeah, they're gonna be ****ed.

But I'm free to help them anyway I can. So yeah, even with Covid, I'd still say I'm the freest I've ever been.