View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 06:23 PM   #969
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I went back to the save point several hours after the last convoy ambush and set the sub onto a continual 5 degree port turn to prevent anyone sneaking up our baffles in the bad weather. Both the radar power and continuous sweep buttons were observed to be lit and the watch crews' efficiency to be in the high 90s. So what happened next?

That same medium cooler eventually popped into existence 900 meters away and shelled us until we dove.

The problem is that the SJ radar's Continuous Sweep button is lit when viewed from another screen, but in actuality it is set on Focus. If you go to one of the scopes, the button is no longer lit.

I note there is some similarity to Known Issue #2 in post #2 of this thread, except that I don't use keyboard shortcuts other than L and Q (mouse for everything else) and that the Continuous Sweep button deceptively remains lit.

EDITED to ADD: I just ran this again, this time with a 10 degree turn to port and having turned on the Continuous Sweep on the actual scope screen. Nevertheless, the medium cooler appeared 900 meters off our starboard bow with no warning from either radar OR sonar. Once again they had the drop on us, firing before we knew anyone was there.

10:33 CE: We're under attack!
10:33 CE: Hull damaged!
10:33 Sonarman: Sonar contact! Merchant moving slow closing! Bearing 058! Short range!
if you are in bad weather and at close range with the enemy, you should be submerged.
at periscope depth, you have sonar coverage. you can open up range if you want to escape or get a contact bearing if you want to attack again.
even if you want to re-attack on the surface, you do not want to be within visible range of any surface ship as they will decimate you at close range.
they.will.not.miss.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 05-09-20 at 06:57 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote