View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 12:24 PM   #67
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0

May I go back a few posts to the one about my ncle who escaped the POW camp.

The story I got told by my family was my Gran thought he had been killed because she never got any news from him.
Anyway one day some gypsy ladies were going round door to door selling cloths pegs, when they got to my gran's door the gypsy lady said something like, "You look troubled, I can see you have someone in the war."
My Gran thought one of the neighbours had told her but then the gypsy said, "Well very soon he will be home, he is safe now so don't worry."
My Gran gave her some money and off she went, again my Gran thought a neighbour had told her and the gypsy was just trying to make her feel better.

Then lo and behold a few weeks later she got a letter from my uncle, he told her he was on his way home and would see her soon and he was OK.
True enough on his return all the street had banners and flags up and they had a bit street party for him.

As years went by I happened to be working with a guy who was laying drainage pipes in the road, I told him my uncle was a pipe layer, he asked his name and when I told him he said, "You mean Leo Greenwood is your uncle?" I said, "Yes why?"
He replied, "He is one of the best pip layers in Manchester, he taught me years ago." I felt so proud.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote