View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 08:31 PM   #63
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
My dad was in the RAF, he was stationed in the north east of England, I used to ask him what he did but like a lot of WW2 service men he would never talk about it.
I think though I may be wrong he worked with radio comms, the reason I think that he used to mend wirelesses for people after the war for extra cash, he was a bricklayer by trade.

I had an uncle who was captured by the Germans and was a POW, he and another guy managed to escape, I don't know the details but he made it back home to a heroes welcome.

I worked with a guy who was very inoffensive sort of man, then one day it was in the local newspaper the RAF were holding a special dinner for him.
It appears he was a tail gunner in a Lancaster that crash landed in France.
He and another guy survived the crash and the French resistance got to them before the Germans.
He took part in a resistance raid with them while he was there and blew up an train, he eventually got back the England, but he too never talked of it.

Another guy I worked with was a Welshman with a strong Welsh accent, a few of the young lads were taking the pi$$ out of him when I told them where he was in WW2.
He was at Arnhem in one of the bloodiest battles in WW2, he saw his best mate blown up right in front of him, they never took the P after that.

Col.
Wow, you got some amazing stories to tell!

My grandpa also said that it was very hard to get his dad to talk about the war as well. He said that he hated to bring up those memories. He went through pure hell in Belgium and Germany.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote