View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 01:56 PM   #21
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_jam2002 View Post
Thanks but it seems very confusing for me. After a long time reading the same notes again and again and watching videos again and again, having to concentrate on something like this will consume much of my time and make things complex. Now, i am at a point that i can play the game normally so i will stick to what i know. This magui seems interesting though.
Then, I suggest to concentrate on getting the ship speed first and foremost. Your target's speed is the cornerstore of your firing solution and aside of the wind speed, it is the only data point that remains constant. With practice, this should become second-nature.

a) Real u-boat captains would put themselves on the same course as the target from a long distance, then test different speeds until the target remains on a constant bearing while not getting any closer. Using your ship's speed, there you go: you got her speed.

b) If the target is within 3,000 meters range and you see a good length of her side (so between 45-90 degrees AOB), bring you boat to Ahead Stop. Ideally, you want your bow in her direction or close to her direction.

When your speed reaches 0 knots, put your periscope's sights in front of the target and do not move it. As soon as the target bow crosses the sights, start your stopwatch. Stop it only when the end tip of her stern crosses the sights.

Using the ship's length in the identification log, make the following calculation :

(1.875 X Ship length in meters) / Time on stopwatch in seconds = ship speed.

c) If you use map contacts : Make a first mark on the ship's position on the map, then start your stopwatch.

3 minutes and 15 seconds later, make a second mark on the ship's updated position and stop the watch.

Measure the distance and divide by 100, and you have her speed in knots.

Last edited by Drakken; 05-08-20 at 02:06 PM.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote