3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PongoDeMer View Post
3catcircus,

First, many thanks for replying. In answer to your questions:

1) This was a first time install of SH5 1.2 (Steam)

2) It was a safe install on my E drive, NOT anything to do with Programs File or Program Files (86) which are located on my C drive.

3) Yes, I ran the game once.

4 The only save file I could find was in the Ubisoft game launcher folder. Is this the save folder you meant? I have also looked in the SH5 file in Documents on my C drive, and in the Steam and Ubisoft folders I discovered in Program Files 86. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that looks like an obvious save folder.

I'm sure I've done something wrong, but can't think what. However, please take note that I am a 61 year old semi-geriatric, not a 14 year old computer whiz-kid who has been an I.T. expert since birth!! Please use simple language.

Best regards

Pongo de Mer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PongoDeMer View Post
With WoS installed, I tried to run SH5 without activating it via JSGME, just to see what happened. I got precisely the same error message as before.
This is odd. I thought that this particular mod was supposed to work via JSGME and could hibernate in the MODS folder, without making its presence felt, until activated. What obviously seems to have happened is that the WoS installation has overwritten some files located elsewhere.... But what?

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

Pongo de Mer.

So, there should be a folder named C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\My Documents\SH5\ with an "_ExtraData.save", "YOUR UPLAY USERNAME_ExtraData.save" (if saving to UPlay), and possibly a sub folder labeled "data". As long as there is a folder labeled SH5 inside your documents folder, you should be good.

Was STEAM active in the background when the STEAM conversion tool popped up during the install? Did the TDW Generic File Patcher run and you clicked "YES" about a zillion times? You restored the snapshot? (SH5, UPLAY and STEAM need to be shut down before you run the TWoS installer). CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager and look in the Applications and Processes tabs (or it may just be a processes tab depending upon which version of Windows you are using). Make sure they aren't running - if they are, shut them down. SH5 should be shown in the Applications tab, and UbisoftGameLauncher.exe, upc.exe, and UplayWebCore.exe should be shown in the Processes tab if they are running. Steam Client Bootstrapper, Steam Client Service, Steam Client Webhelper are the steam files.

Also - you should run all of the installers and the game files as an administrator. If you are on Win8/Win10, you may need to run SH5 in Win7 compatibility mode.

You right-click on the files, and select "Run as Administrator" when installing SH5, U-Play, and TWoS. Once everything is installed, right-click on the SH5.exe file, go to Properties, Compatibility, and click on the Run this Progam as an Administrator box. You can also select Win7 compatibility mode from there as well.

Last edited by 3catcircus; 04-22-20 at 03:29 PM.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote