View Single Post
Old 04-09-20, 08:02 AM   #2596
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I think almost all medical facilities in areas hard hit by the pandemic are scaling back on medical procedures deemed not critical or emergent. One of the observations being made recently is about the two Navy Hospital Ships, one in Los Angeles and one in New York City operating at way low capacity amid the crisis; one of the main reasons for the low usage is that the ships were originally planned to serve non-Covid Positive patients; since so many elective surgeries and procedures are now being put on hold in order to conserve manpower, equipment and other resources solely to fight the virus, there are way, way fewer actual patients than would be normally expected in the hospitals, clinics, etc.; kinda brings up the question of just how many patients, under normal circumstances, are in hospital because of severe conditions actual requiring hospitalization? I know here in LA, if you subtracted all the tummy tucks, facelifts, liposuctions, etc., from the hospitals, a lot of them would probably go bankrupt...

Whether or not you or anyone else might have to have a procedure postponed is a judgement call to be made by your attending physician; I don't think any reputable MD is going to risk a malpractice situation by postponing a procedure out of hand without consideration. If you are having a situation where you fear for your own health without the procedure, I would suggest you make those thoughts known explicitly to your MD. I have found being insistent about one's own health can often be not only desirable, but also necessary...

I feel your pain: my most recent doctor's "visit" was done over the phone and the clinic has indicated my next visit may also be via phone; I actually had to take my own temperature, pulse, and blood pressure here at home and relay the numbers to my doctor over the phone; fortunately, owing to prior medical situations, I already have the necessary equipment. I'm supposed to have my first visit with the Neurologist on 21 Apr regarding whether my brain damage is a sign of Alzheimer's (most likely) or MS (less likely); I haven't heard from the neurologist's office about rescheduling, so I guess its still on, although I suspect I will hear sometime soon...

Hopefully, things will get back to normal, or as close to normal as possible, and the overall health systems will recover...

<O>