View Single Post
Old 04-03-20, 01:18 AM   #2290
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
A tale of two governors apparently one follows federal guidelines and most likely even improved upon them. The other, underestimated the danger.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said Tuesday he wants to be “cautious” about drawing conclusions about the effectiveness of the state’s social distancing efforts but that he’s more confident its health care system can handle what’s coming.

Wow, Rockstar saying something positive about California and its Governor...

Is that Satan I see ice skating? An has porcine aviation suddenly become a thing?...

Actually, its kind of amusing to see and hear some of the same people who, in the past, made light of or were critical of Gov. Newsom and Washington State Gov. Inslee now singing a very different tune. They were said to have been overly exaggerating the severity of Covid-19, to be reacting in a knee-jerk panic, that shutdowns were not the answer, etc. Now the rest of the country (at least the part whose state leadership is not still is besotted by the Trump Kool-Aid) is saying Newsom and Inslee were prescient in their evaluations and approaches; I don't know about prescient, nor do I know much about Inslee and his approach to the pandemic, but I do know Newsom did his homework, consulted with known experts in the field, evaluated his options and acted swiftly, without regard to the bellowing from the White House; Newsom also was fortunate to already have appointed some very qualified persons to posts that are key to fighting the problem and, since the beginning of the crisis, has added other qualified persons to augment those already on the jobs. I watch his daily updates on TV and he is straightforward, knowledgeable and deferential to those who have knowledge he does not, gives the facts without color, and has presented a strong, optimistic image, something that is reassuring to Californians. I really didn't expect much from Newsom when he got elected in 2018; he did get 61.95% of the total vote, but CA is a DEM state and the GOP candidate running against Newsom was a Trump tool, so Newsom winning was pretty predictable. But, now, with the way he has led the state in this pandemic and the way he has carried himself in public, I do believe I will be voting to reelect him as governor...

BTW, very early on, when Newsom realized respirators were going to be a very big need, he attempted to set up a sort of 'buyer's club' with the governors of other states, the idea was the states could pool their buying power and thus make purchases in bulk using the combined assets as leverage on the open market; there was some interest, but states pulled out because they were being reassured they would be taken care of, and the proposal stalled and CA went on to seek their own supplies; those reassurances came from some big, dumb orange guy in DC...

So, basically, the two states so widely derided over their Covid-19 response are now being hailed as examples...

Inslee and Newsom both took a realistic look around at the rest of the world, saw what was and wasn't; sought expert advice and took big chances, politically, that they were making the right decisions; its something leaders do...

<O>