View Single Post
Old 03-19-20, 04:28 PM   #120
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Do you really think it will get that bad?
That we would have to resort to fishing and hunting for our daily needs?

You live in a blessed area with fish and game and trees, but what about the people that live in the big cities, in the tall buildings?

By May they will be out of hope for paying the rent, paying the utilities, keeping the cell phone on, finding food, using what ever they can for TP (it's no joke).
I don't think it will get that bad, it never has. Even during the Great Depression and Civil War, we had law and order, for the most part. But nothing is impossible. People who think it cannot happen are the ones roaming the empty store aisles today. The prepping rules simply call for the next step, which is setting up sources of food independent of stores. I hope it doesn't come to that, it's a lot of work!

People in the cities ... well, that's long been a staple of prepper lore. It's gonna be messy! If you want to see what it could be like, check out The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse . This happened in Argentina and it is happening today in Venezuela. It's not likely but it could happen here.

The vast majority of people in this country cannot survive without the underlying infrastructure, and they are not very rational about necessities and luxuries. People think they should have whatever they decide they want.

Here's a pair of hypotheticals: Joe works at an art supply store. He makes a little more than min wage, let's say $14 an hour. He has a gal who live with him, and two kids. The kids get free breakfast and lunch at school. Even though his company has insurance available Joe doesn't elect to have coverage, he saves $380 a month. They get state care for the kids and they head to the emergency room if someone gets sick. The birth of both his kids were covered under a state low income program. Joe has an Infiniti car (not new), high-end sport motorcycle, an X-Box and a ton of Steam games in his library. Everyone in his family has a cell phone, his kids have a Nitendo Wii. His gal doesn't work, she is on FB all day while the kids are in school. Joe has next to nothing set aside for emergencies.

Dave has a job as a longshoreman at the ship channel. He makes $30+ and hour and gets quite a bit of OT. Dave has a $50,000 truck, a motorcycle, some kind of high end table saw/router that he claims cost $10,000. Dave has a LOT of tools and toys. Dave has paid his rent on time only twice in the last year. Even when his landlord set up an account in Dave's bank so the rent could be paid automatically by transfer, Dave does not allow the money to transfer. Dave has next to nothing set aside for emergencies.

So, the names were changed but I was the co-worker and the landlord in these scenarios, and I am not embellishing them one bit. The question is: should people be responsible for their own existence, should they have an emergency fund before they buy luxuries and toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Preppers, people wanting to defend their home, Angst that no ammo will be available in the next time..
At worst groups who think their time has come - from looters to queers thinking of an overthrow

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/03/19/...irus-outbreak/

“When everything around you is uncertain, having a supply of ammunition can make our customers feel safer.”
Good answers.

Any way, I guess the overlying concern is that massive numbers of people are questioning the stability of our society.... This is kind of like when a natural disaster is about to unfold, all the birds and animals can sense it. Worrying.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote