View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 08:07 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon9 it's ajungle out there!

2017 was good year for Nile crocodiles! 1.
Quote:
Like Henry Stanley and David Livingstone more than a century ago, they set off into the jungle on the Lukuga River in the Congo.On Dec. 7, after a night of heavy rainfall, they started out at first light, stopping mid-morning to eat. Then they ventured on, spotting a few small crocodiles along the way.
After several hours, they passed through their last rapids on the Lukuga River. Before them stretched 100 miles of flat water. Still, they never let up their guard, paddling their three kayaks in tight, defensive formation so they would look like one big creature to a predator.
Coetzee was in the middle. Korbulic was on his right side and Stookesberry paddled a little ahead on the left. Korbulic kept glancing at Coetzee, making sure they were staying close.
Then death struck.
"I looked over and caught this croc coming up and grabbing onto Hendri," Korbulic said. He only saw a flash of giant jaws.
"There was no sound," he said. "It was fast and smooth. Hendri did say something but I was totally consumed with what I was seeing."
What Coetzee yelled, Stookesberry said, was "Oh, my God."
Coetzee's kayak turned over, there was a struggle then it tipped right side up empty. Coetzee was the ninth person killed by a crocodile in the past few years, Stookesberry said, and the villagers were terrified of the river.
Quote:
DNA tests on the carcass of a crocodile shot in Zimbabwe have confirmed that it contains the remains of a missing South African hunter, an investigator has told the BBC.
Scott Van Zyl was killed last week on the banks of the Limpopo river, said Sakkie Louwrens, director of a South-African crime-fighting NGO.
He said Mr Van Zyl disappeared during a hunting safari last week.
His death is the latest in a series of fatal crocodile attacks in Zimbabwe.
Mr Louwrens told the BBC that Mr Van Zyl had gone on a hunting trip on the Zimbabwe-South Africa border with a local tracker and a pack of dogs. At least four fatal attacks by crocodiles have been reported in Zimbabwe this year..
Quote:
Cape Town - The death of a loved and respected guide at Le Bonheur Crocodile Farm in the Western Cape sent shock waves through South Africa over the past weekend.
According to News24, Johan Burger's body had to be retrieved from one of the farm's crocodile pools, which he had helped designed at the end of 2015.
Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk told News24 that workers arriving for their shift came across his body around 08:50.

An inquest was opened into the circumstances surrounding Burger's death, Van Wyk said.
Following Burger's death, the crocodile farm says the croc pond tours have been suspended until Saturday, 21 January, while other activities on the farm remain operational.
There is no doubt that the tour is a thrilling one. And some would even argue that the tours and interaction stimulates and advocates education about crocodiles to the general public.
But what's the real message these tours are sending to the public?
In a natural environment, handling baby crocodiles and getting within centimetres of croc-infested waters - or feeding crocodiles - would be unthinkable. But yet, in man-made, enclosed environments, common sense, nature's laws and natural hierarchy are the first to go out the door.
bottomline: crocs win against supposedly seasoned professionals and are three for three with 'collateral' native damage...to quote a late famous TV naturalist: CRIKEY! At least four fatal attacks by crocodiles have been reported in Zimbabwe this year. ... and they're not the big problem!
Quote:
Despite being vegetarian, hippos are considered the most dangerous terrestrial animal on the African continent. On average, they are responsible for the deaths of almost 3,000 humans every year.
Male hippos are exceptionally territorial and will actively defend their section of river or lake from perceived intruders. Females will attack any animal that comes between them and their offspring.

Hippos can run at speeds of over 30 km/ph on land and may weigh over 3,300 lb/ 1,500 kg. A male hippo's canine teeth can exceed 20"/ 50 cm.

I think I'll just stick to what I know...scuba diving in Monterey Bay at night with normal old great white sharks

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote